The 40 Essential Drum Rudiments

Riding a recent wave of interest in drums I decided to look around for the best way to get started and found a bunch of helpful drumming resources online that all essentially recommended starting to practice drum rudiments.

If you don’t know what drum rudiments are, they are essentially the building blocks of drumming; rhythmic patterns that develop your technique and that can be applied to construct larger patterns and rhythms across your kit and your limbs. There are 4 basic types of drum rudiments.

Four Basic Types of Drum Rudiments

1. Roll - continuous, sustained sounds, think drum roll
  2. Paradiddle - two single strokes (para) followed by one set of doubles (diddle)
  3. Flam - two taps played closely with each other, forming a long note
  4. Drag - accentuated stroke preceded by a double stroke

The Percussive Arts Society has made some helpful resources to refer to the rudiments as well as listening to what they sound like at various tempos. I downloaded a copy of the PDF reference guide and included it on our public drive which can be accessed via the Google Drive logo at the top of the site. I have also provided some additional links that can be used as reference for the rudiments.

Grab a pair of sticks, a practice surface, and a metronome and that should be all you need to get started. Good luck practicing and let us know how you’re progressing!

Helpful Resources

Percussive Arts Society - Drum Rudiments
The Music Joynt - Music References and Tools
Drum Rudiments - Learn How To Play All 40 Drum Rudiments
Education - 40 Essential Rudiments (zildjian.com)