So after writing the drum programming post, I realized that it would be awesome to have an electronic drum kit to trigger Superior Drummer 2. So I started looking around and checked out Guitar Center to see what they had on the floor. I pretty quickly realized that there is something at every budget and it really depends on what you want to do. My personal requirements for a set are:
- Something that wouldn’t break the bank (I wanted to make sure I didn’t over-invest in something I couldn’t commit to) - ~$600 or less
- Something that was capable of triggering sounds via the drum software I already had
- Something that wasn’t flimsy and that would last awhile. I’d like this to be around in my home studio for a little bit.
- Something that didn’t take up too much space
- Something that could allow me to practice after the kids went to sleep
- Mesh heads
From research, I quickly realized that the conversation comes down to Roland vs Alesis, with the former being the established industry standard for sound and build quality. Alesis however has recently put out some really competitive drum sets at affordable price points that make them super interesting.
This isn’t a review just a shortlist of kits I am considering after a decent amount of research and given the requirements I listed above.
- ~$379 - New - Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit
- ~$559 - New - Alesis Surge Mesh Kit
- ~$600-800 (Depending on your locality) - Used - Roland TD-11KV
Anyone with experience in these willing to share their thoughts?